Thursday, October 4, 2007

Am I really that weird?

At work, I generally work in the Small Commons, an area filled with circular tables conducive for group meetings and such. It's a common area of the school, so a lot of students and other staff/faculty often sit here to work as well.

Lately one of the school's English teachers has been sitting here lately to meet with her students. It seems like she's meeting with students on are strugging and thus far receiving poor grades. I can't help but overhear some of her conversations with these students, and it seems like so many are just SO unmotivated. I really can't understand that. They're missing assignment on top of assignment. It doesn't even seem like they're making much of an effort or even showing up for class. What gives?

Granted, I was a bit of a class cutter myself in college if I felt it wasn't something I really needed to be there for. But still, I don't think I EVER purposely didn't turn in an assignment. It's baffling to me that they can pay so much for school (it's a private university, so it's about $25K per year for tuition alone) and not even give it your best effort. Do people really not realize the value of that much money by college age?

It confuses me.

Maybe I'm just weird.

No response to “Am I really that weird?”